Monday, January 30, 2012

"Broken Friendship"

What is your dream car?  Imagine for a moment that I am giving you that car, fitted with all the special features you want.  Money is not an issue.  It's the car of your dreams and it's yours...with two keys...one for you and a spare.  What do you do with the spare key?  Would you give it to your best friend at school?  Watch this video...


If the video doesn't play, click on the following link and then return to this page.
http://youtu.be/uGPxxDYwT94

The girl in this video thought she was safe giving her password to her best friend.  As we saw, however, even if we only give that information to someone we truly trust…it can still have negative consequences.

Once someone has your password they have access to you.  They can assume your identity and mess with your stuff.  When you get older, not protecting your password can affect you financially since people will have access to your bank records and credit card numbers.  Most times, when this happens…there’s not a thing that can be done for you.  You’ll have lost whatever was taken.

Earlier this year a student came to me to report that his school e-mail account had been “hacked”.  Someone had gone into his account and created probably a hundred or more inappropriate files under his name.  While I was talking to this student, I learned that he hadn’t been too careful with his password.  As a result, another student had gained access to his account.

Your password is like a key.  It unlocks something that you’ve locked…for a reason.  It is extremely important that you keep your password to yourself and don’t share it with others.

(Special note…Your parent or guardian may ask for your password for multiple reasons.  This is the only instance where you should share your password.)

QUESTION TWO:  What would you tell a friend if you saw them giving their password to someone else?
 

12 comments:

angel said...

do you trust the internet,not all the way though...you could meet someone and they could be anyone...you dont now what the enternet is capable of...

caitlin crist said...

i know all about broken friend ship for example in had theese two friends that would have stayed by my side throw thick or thin, they were always there for me but in third grade i treated them bad and betrade them i t still is a pain i still have to live will. so dont let your friendship fail like mine did.

Dylan LeBlanc said...

I would say to back off- Obviously not a true friend if you're off telling other people your personal information. Honestly not cool.

Jamie LeBlanc said...

If I saw someone giving my password to someone else i would first tell them to please stop. Then if they don't stop i would go tell an adult.
Friends, specially best friends shouldn't give away passwords or anything in that source. Not only will you loose that friendship but you also become known not trustable.

Joshua Goodson said...

I would say be careful because you never know what could happen.

Dallin Romney said...

In the case of password breach, it is usually the fault of the account owner. For example, a few years ago I was brain dead and couldn't think of a password for a game account I was making. So, not thinking, I asked my brother for a good password and started using it for lots of things. Now I believe all my brothers know my password and even though they would not abuse my accounts, in some situations, some people for whatever reason; anger, broken friendship, revenge, or just stupidity would use that to their advantage. Don't give your passwords away!!!!

Emma Thompson said...

you should never tell someone your password. they could stop being your friend and ruin your life. keep your passwords a secret.

same thing with locker combinations. the person you tell, can get into and steal your stuff. even if it is personal.

Aurora Koldewey said...

I watched the video and it was so sad and it creeped me out a little. I've shared my passwords with people before, nothing happened but now I know something could.If you share passwords you could be scammed or impersonated! Don't share passwords.

Anonymous said...

If I saw someone giving out my password, I would confront them about it and see what we can do to resolve the issue. I would ask them their reason then change my password. I would know now not to trust them with my personal information.

Anonymous said...

If someone I knew were to be giving any of my passwords away I would confront them with the issue and see that it is resolved. I would change my password and ask them their reason. Sometimes you can't trust people with information like that. It can be overwhelming.

peyton said...

broken friendship is when a relly good friend gust comes up to you and tells you im not your friend but ther is a hole bunth or ether teenagers out ther to be your friend

angel garner said...

broken friendship is when a friend or a realy good friend or even you do somthing bad to your other friend or a misunderstanding it can get verry sad i am going through a broken friendship right now...and we have known eachother since kindergarten so its verry hard...